• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Thumper: A Pokemon Sword Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
On mental health hiatus

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
Welcome to my shoddy attempt at a comic! I used to be an old user of these forums back in 2016-17, and while I was there I wrote a couple of nuzlocke stories. The first was My Immortal levels of pain, the second was mediocre teen fan fiction. The improvement? Marked. I hate those old stories, but it turns out writing 200+ pages of pokemon fan fiction strongly ups your writing game. This comic aims to do the same thing. I suck at comics. I want to not suck, and I've wanted to not suck for 3~ years and never did anything about it. This year, I am taking the first step to not suck. I'll be aiming for monthly updates, give or take a few days.

Critique on either art/writing (or general tech help-the forums and DevientArt have both changed quite a lot, and I'm about as technologically adept as a ball python) highly welcomed. Thumper is all about improvement, after all, and I welcome any tips y'all have to help me with that.

If a Pokemon faints, it is dead
No item use in Trainer battles
Dupes clause
Must catch the first encounter on each route
Cannot catch shiny pokemon unless it is the first encounter-Xavier can’t notice the difference!
OVERWORLD/GRASS CLAUSE: May choose to take either the overworld encounter or the grass encounter (overworld encounter-pokemon that spawns nearest player character). If I choose not to take one encounter, then I can only take the second (if I skip the grass encounter I cannot choose to skip the overworld encounter). If the overworld and grass encounters are the same, this clause does not take effect and grass encounter must be taken.
Set Style must be on at all times
Due to the massive level differences in the Wild Area, deaths there do not count unless the Pokemon that caused the death is lower or equal leveled to the dead Pokemon.
In the Wild Area, each area counts as a separate encounter. You may choose to catch a pokemon from the closest Max Raid den as your encounter.

https://deviantart.com%2Fmagicforbeginners%2Fart%2FThumper-1-847908055
Or see on DA: deviantart]deviantart.com/magicforbeginners/art/Thumper-1-847908055

First page! I hate it, but I'm proud of myself for finishing it. Here's to another seven years of this stupid thing!
Thumper is, first and foremost, a project for me to improve. I've never tried either comic-making or cartoony style before. I mainly do realistic sketches, and I thought this wouldn't be so bad. How wrong I was. But that's why I'm here. Thumper pushes me out of my comfort zone and makes me do things I don't like. The name of the game is improvement, and if I can entertain a few folks along the way that's a bonus. I'll have some like/hate comments on each page where I pinpoint stuff I like and stuff I need to work on for future me.

Things I like:
I am proud of my inking. I like inking. I think I'll ink all the backgrounds next page. Wanted to ink only characters to make them stand out more, but I don't like how "ghostly" the backgrounds look without the ink. We'll see which one turns out nicer.

All things considered, I did.... okay. It's nowhere near where I want to be, but falling on my face is technically closer to my goal! One page at a time, and if I improve a little each page I'll consider myself victorious.

Writing's okay. I like Xavier and Hop, and their dynamic is fun to write. Leon's frustrating and I'm still not thrilled with where his character's at, but that's what rewrites are for.

Happy with a lot of my shading, particularly on Hop's hair. Hop's hair sucks but I'm happy with most of it, and with the clothes.

Things I hate/need to improve:
The whole thing is done traditionally with colored pencils. Turns out my shit phone camera isn't great at getting colors right! I color-corrected it to a point where it looks kind of the same, but it's still not great (and the last page got super saturated for unknown reasons). I need to figure out a way to make the page color look better on the monitors. Will try a different pencil technique next page.

Everyone looks so damn stiff, especially facial expressions. Panel 8 will haunt my nightmares. I think it's my weakest point in the comic-I really struggle with expressive facial expressions, especially since I forbid myself from using photo references for characters. It's my least favorite thing to draw, too, so I have next to no experience with it. It's a good thing the next couple pages are nothing but! (sobs)

Speech bubbles. They look unnatural. I've gained a new respect for letterers. Next page I'm doing them on the page instead of Photoshop, should help incorporate them better.

Panels. Wobbles galore. Thought I could do them freehand, was wrong. Next page I'm using a ruler.

Adjusting to drawing tiny was difficult. There are a lot of places where I couldn't get the perspective/proportions right and gave up because it was too damn tiny to control. The pokemon take the brunt of this. I feel like this is something that comes with practice.

Last edited:

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
(pounds fists on table) YES YES Y E S I AM HERE FOR MORE SWSH NUZLOCKES-
First of all, the comic title? Adorable. Very cute.
A blind protagonist is a very interesting and neat concept! Already I'm drawn in, wondering how our protagonist will deal with the struggles and challenges of the Pokemon World on top of being blind. Scorbunny's leash is adorable. I love the idea of Pokemon being used to help trainers in ways other than just battling, so I'm excited to see that explored! Very good set up, and these characters interacting and playing off of each other is so charming. The art style is also really unique, it's so cool to see a nuzlocke drawn traditionally!
Good luck with the rest of the comic! I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!

OP
Magicforbeginners

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
(pounds fists on table) YES YES Y E S I AM HERE FOR MORE SWSH NUZLOCKES-
First of all, the comic title? Adorable. Very cute.
A blind protagonist is a very interesting and neat concept! Already I'm drawn in, wondering how our protagonist will deal with the struggles and challenges of the Pokemon World on top of being blind. Scorbunny's leash is adorable. I love the idea of Pokemon being used to help trainers in ways other than just battling, so I'm excited to see that explored! Very good set up, and these characters interacting and playing off of each other is so charming. The art style is also really unique, it's so cool to see a nuzlocke drawn traditionally!
Good luck with the rest of the comic! I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!
I saw a void in SWSH Nuzlockes that needed to be filled, and I answered!
Thanks! I was very proud of the title-it's got a reason to it, as does my Scorbunny choice. If you're blind, there's other senses you can use....
I've seen a few blind pokemon but never a blind Trainer, so I wanted to be the first to explore that! And yup, our protagonist will need to rely more on his pokemon than the average Trainer, both for battles and for general life. They're all great to write and I love them all, these characters deserve to see it to the end of their story. I'm glad you like the traditional! Might not keep it, but it is fun to do.
Really appreciate the awesome comment, and I'll strive to make every page a bit better than the last!

zcTg5Y.jpg

cyBKgX.jpg

AiaKz6.jpg

nCf9hW.jpg

iLwhzM.jpg

First page was terrible to read, so I'm trying something new that hopefully makes it easier.

Remember when I said I thought the hand-drawn bubbles would look better? I lied, they're much worse.
I very nearly burned this whole damn thing and gave up on comic art. Like I mentioned, I never do this type of art. My comfort zone is realism from observation, not comic art from imagination. Hell, Xavier's the first OC I've actually mustered up the courage to draw. But I know I can't grow without pushing myself out of my comfort zone. The thing is, after a year of purely doing realism art from observation my composition, color, and imagination skills are shot dead. RIP. The potato scanner I have didn't help much. Why in the fuck did you make it blurry. Why in the fuck did you chop off a good half inch of a page. You're being very rude.
Speaking of, I will probably end up sketching out the next page traditionally and biting the bullet to get a cheap tablet and free coloring software and coloring it digitally. Both (again) to move my comfort zone, to get more accurate color/spend less time color correcting the pages (I spent maybe 2+ hours just trying to get it to look halfway correct) and to save money. Colored pencils rely on layers and time, and they're asshole bastards that are not forgiving of mistakes (you can see a couple areas where I was autopilot coloring and put red on Magnolia's coat or blue on Hop's ruff and couldn't get it out). Comics need the opposite. And one page takes a hell of a lot of pencil length. Pencils aren't cheap, and it's hard to justify dropping $200+ on materials for this dumb comic when I can get over my digital fear and color the whole thing for $0. Anyways, next page I'm going to work hard on composition. Easily my weakest point here, especially speech-bubble wise.

Like:
Well, it's better than the first. Still terrible but less on fire. Task failed successfully!

I'm going to focus on improving one specific thing each page, using the first for my baseline. This page I tried to focus on improving faces/humans in general. New eyes, new noses, new mouths, new shapes. Proportions get wonky in some places, I need to work more on that. I should probably have done reference sheets (or, y'know, any sort of preliminary sketches) before jumping in, but haha comic go publish. Still, I do think I managed to improve my cartoony human faces. I like the eyes much more. Noses need tweaking, as do mouths, but they're better.

Once again, I'm patting myself on the back for finishing! If I'd started working on a comic back in 2017 like I'd wanted to, who knows where I could be now progress-wise? I was too scared to do it. I'm still scared, mainly because I'm hot garbage compared to most of the comics here, but if I'd waited until I was "good enough" I'd never do anything. And I'd always be hot garbage. I refuse.

I always love actually working on the comic. It's why I keep coming back to it. The final product feels awful, but I love the process.

The teapot. I love him. His name is Earl.

New font. Bodoni, the best of fonts. This is a hill I will die on. It is elegant and beautiful and Helvatica can go stuff itself.

Hate:
Remember how I said I liked my inking? I take it back. I re-inked most of the pages after coloring and killed two pens in the process, and I don't like it.

The composition in general is awful. The speech bubbles give me pain. I'm going to have nice speech bubbles in the next page or I'm dying in the process.

I inked everything before remembering I wanted to do hand-drawn bubbles. So I was brilliant and used white acrylic paint to cover some inked bits. Turns out colored pencils hate acrylic paint. The more you know. Hop's face on 3 is a direct result of this. I'm sorry, I'll never do this to you again.

I'll throw in a quick "everything else." Nothing looks right, and I'm not proud of any of it. But I had fun doing it, and although I'm not happy with the amount of improvement I am happy that I've improved. Onwards and upwards!

Oh yeah, and I get to show y'all how Xavier battles with being blind next page. I'm excited to show it off! His battles are a lot of fun to plan and even more to sketch. Can't wait to get to Piers, that's going to be a banger of a battle. I'm off to fight Honey and Mustard with this Nuzlocke's squad-odd to think how long it'll be before I can draw it out. I'm excited to get there.

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
Oh my gosh I adore your version of Magnolia. The no-nonsense but loving grandma vibes are just perfect for her, her glaring at Sonia for nearly dropping the f bomb is hilarious. These characters have a really interesting dynamic and I'm excited to know more about them.
AND NICKIT NICKIT NICKIT oh my gosh I am so happy to see a Nickit here, Kit looks adorable. I also really like how you stylized Charizard's anatomy, I love the droopy tail and how he slinks around behind the characters. The art overall is really good! I know you're posting self critique in the artist notes, but I think you're doing great so far in the art department, and the more you draw the more you'll improve! Do whatever method is easiest for you and the least time consuming, because either way I know it'll look great!

Users who are viewing this thread